Of all of Chris Kimball’s thousands of recipes, this is my older son’s absolute favorite. He’s generally crazy for Parmesan cheese, and this recipe uses a ton of fresh Parmesan. Although the portion size (1/2 breast per person) might seem small, these cutlets are rather rich due to the heavy cheese content. I’d suggest serving this chicken with a simple salad. To make 8 cutlets, double the ingredients and cook the chicken in 4 batches, transferring the cooked cutlets to a warm oven and wiping out the skillet after each batch
- It is important to pound very thin, to a uniform 1/4″, or the chicken will not fully cook.
- I underlined the teaspoon because once I used two tablespoons per batch, which of course was three times too much.
Rating: 4-1/2 stars.
How much work? Low/Medium.
How big of a mess? Medium.
Start time 6:00 PM. Dinner time 6:45 PM.
The original recipe is here. The descriptions of how I prepare it tonight are given below:
2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (8 ounces each)
Table salt and ground black pepper
1/4 cup + 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
1/2 oz grated Parmesan cheese (about 1/8 cup),
6 to 7 oz shredded Parmesan cheese (about 2 cups)
2 large egg whites
2 tablespoons fresh chives
4 teaspoons olive oil
- Freeze chicken breasts for 15 minutes until firm but not fully frozen. Trim away tenderloins. Slice breasts in half horizontally, placing one hand flat on top of the breast to secure it, hold a chef’s knife parallel to the cutting board, and slice through the middle of the breast horizontally.
- Grate 1/2 ounce of Parmesan is on the smallest holes of a box grater.
- Shred the remaining 6 ounces on the largest holes of the box grater.
- Set wire rack on rimmed baking sheet lined with aluminum foil. Set oven rack to middle position, and pre-heat oven to 200 degrees.
- Place chicken between in zip lock bag and pound to even 1/4-inch thickness. Use paper towels to pat the cutlets dry, then sprinkle both sides with salt and pepper.
- Whisk 1/4 cup flour and the 1/2 oz grated Parmesan cheese together in a pie plate.
- Whisk 2 egg whites and minced chives together in a medium bowl until slightly foamy.
- In second pie plate, combine 2 cups shredded Parmesan with 1 tablespoon flour.
- Prepare one cutlet at a time. Coat cutlet in flour mixture, and shake off any excess. Use tongs to dredge both sides of chicken through egg mixture; allowing any excess run off. Finally, place chicken in shredded Parmesan mixture, sprinkle on top, then press gently so that cheese adheres. Move to wire rack, a prepare the remaining cutlets.
- In 12″ non-stick skillet, heat 2 teaspoons (not tablespoons) oil over medium-high heat for 3 minutes.
- Carefully place 2 cutlets at a time in skillet, ensuring that they don’t touch. Cook for 4 minutes until cheese is pale golden brown.
- Flip chicken and continue to cook the second side for 3 to 4 minutes more until cheese is pale golden brown and meat isn’t pink in center.
- Transfer chicken to clean wire rack set in rimmed baking sheet lined with aluminum foil to keep warm while preparing the remaining cutlets. Use paper towels to wipe out skillet between batches. Reduce heat slightly to medium, add 2 more teaspoons oil and cook the remaining chicken.
- Slice a lemon into wedges and serve immediately.