I love avocado, but usually only eat it with Mexican meals. In fact, this was the first avocado salad that I’ve made. The salad itself was easy to prepare, but it took a lot of effort shopping for the ingredients. After looking in 3 supermarkets, I eventually gave up on the ricotta salata. Had I been willing to make he 20 mile round-trip, I probably could have found. The salad was a little milder than I expected, but still generally well-balanced. 4-stars.
- I waited for the shallots to soak before cutting the avocado, cherry tomatoes and radishes. To save time you can begin your slicing and chopping about 10 minutes after you start soaking the shallots.
- Ricotta salata is very difficult to find. Perhaps the recipe should have been written using crumbled feta cheese.
How much work? Medium.
How big of a mess? Medium.
Start time: 5:00. Dinner time: 5:45
Chris Kimball’s original recipe is here. The descriptions of how I prepared it today are given below:
1 large shallot
3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
1 garlic clove
1/2 teaspoon mayonnaise
Salt and pepper
3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
12-oz cherry tomatoes
1/2 cup chopped fresh basil
3 ounces ricotta salata, shaved thin (or substitute Crumbled feta cheese)
- Slice the shallot thinly and place in 2 cups of ice water. Allow to chill for 30 minutes, then drain and to blot them dry using paper towels.
- Press garlic clove into a small glass bowl, and add red wine vinegar, 1/2 teaspoon mayonnaise, 1/4 teaspoon table salt, 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper.
- Whisk until turns milky and there are no remaining lumps. Slowly drizzle oil into bowl, whisking constantly. You should not have pools of oil.
- Cut avocados in half, remove the pit, and cut into 3/4″ dice. Put in medium bowl with 2 tablespoons of dressing and sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon table salt. Carefully toss until avocado is lightly covered with dressing. Empty onto serving platter.
- Cut the cherry tomatoes into quarters, and thinly slice the radishes. Chop the basil so that it yields 1/2 cup.
- Add sliced and dried shallot, quartered tomatoes, sliced radishes and the rest of the dressing to the same medium bowl from step 4. Toss to coat and spread over avocados, and serve.